The corn fields are going off here in Utah. Sweet, crunchy, delicious corn. Every farm stand around here has them right now, and I like to cook with in-season veggies as much as possible. Think about it – is summer even summer without corn? Blistered Corn With Avocado is summer in a bowl.
This dish combines some of my favorite summer flavors – corn, avocado, lime juice, cilantro, fresh scallions and spicy jalapeños. Try to find some firm avocados that still need a tiny bit of ripening. Firm avocados will hold their shape and add some nice creamy texture to this dish without disintegrating into mush. The lime added at the very end serves two purposes: it provides just the right amount of acidity while keeping the avocado from turning brown.
To blister the corn kernels, I use a very hot cast iron skillet, although a heavy stainless steel skillet will do the trick as long as it’s nice and hot (stay away from non-stick for this dish). Spread the kernels around so you have an even layer of corn in your skillet, allowing each kernel the opportunity to have contact with the heat source. Cooking the corn this way will blister and char the kernels and intensify the sweetness of the corn.
As the corn begins to pop in the skillet (and that pop, incidentally, is a sign that you’re cooking at the right temperature), you’ll begin to smell the most delightful aroma – all at once bright, toasty, nutty. You will think “this, THIS is how corn should smell.” And in fact it does! It takes a little heat to release that delicious aroma and taste. Cooking corn like this is SO SIMPLE, yet the flavor is so complex and rich.
Watch out for the occasional flying kernel – it’s a tiny bit like making popcorn. When the majority of the kernels have a little char on them, turn off the heat. It’s almost ready to eat, just add lime juice and cilantro.
Blistered Corn with Avocado should definitely hold a place at your next barbecue, and also at your next taco night. Toss some of this delicious corn into a corn tortilla and top it with a little cotija cheese. Mmm. Delicious, right? Only a few more weeks of summer on the calendar, friends. Go get yourself some corn while it’s still fresh from the fields.
Blistered Corn With Avocado
- kernels from 4 ears of fresh corn
- 1 diced jalapeño seeds removed
- 1 firm avocado diced
- 6 scallions sliced
- 2 tbs avocado oil or vegetable oil of choice
- salt to taste
- 2 handfulls of cilantro leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat and add the oil. Quickly toss in in the corn kernels and jalapeños and spread evenly in the pan. Toss the corn and jalapeños around as the corn begins to blister (this will take a few minutes). Add the avocado and scallions and stir to combine. Add salt to taste, cook another minute and remove from heat. Transfer the corn and avocado mixture to a bowl and squeeze in the lime juice. Give it another toss and top with the cilantro leaves to serve.