Raise your hand if you love dinner clean-up! I can tell you with utmost certainty that my family loves this Chicken Potato Medley Sheet Pan Dinner for two reasons 1) it’s delicious and 2) clean-up is minimal. I love it because there’s minimal hands-on work – 5 minutes of prep and 45 minutes in the oven, and dinner is on the table.
If you can get your hands on a bag of of multi-colored potatoes, definitely pick one up. The purple potatoes are so beautiful and have a little bit of an earthy taste to them to balance out the sweetness of the yellow potatoes. If you’re buying loose potatoes, try to get a variety of red skinned, yellow and purple potatoes – they all taste just a little differently and they’re great roasted.
I chose skinless chicken thighs for this dish because they cook up quickly and I find them to be more flavorful than skinless chicken breasts. Be sure to trim any extra fat and pat them dry with a paper towel before proceeding with the recipe.
To further save on dishwashing and consolidate prep, I place all of the oil and crushed garlic in a bowl. First quarter the potatoes and the red onion and put them in the bowl. Toss them around to coat them well. With a slotted spoon (or your hands) scatter the veggies on your sheet pan. Place the chicken thighs in the remaining oil and garlic mixture and arrange them on the pan around the veggies, drizzling any remaining oil over the chicken.
Now comes the simple but magical condiment combination that makes this sheet pan dinner soooooo tasty. When I discovered there was such a thing as smoked paprika, my cooking world opened up. Suddenly I could add a smokey flavor to anything I cooked. I may have gotten a little overzealous with my newfound condiment obsession for a bit, but in time I learned to be judicious about my smoked paprika use, and in this dish, it’s just perfect. For those who don’t like heat, not too worry – smoked paprika isn’t the least bit spicy, but it is a strong condiment, so a little bit goes along way.
Sprinkle the paprika and cumin all over your vegetables and chicken, add a generous sprinkling of fresh ground salt and pepper, and that’s it! A simple arugula salad tossed with olive oil and lemon juice was the perfect complement to this easy Chicken Potato Medley Sheet Pan Dinner.
Sheet Pan Chicken Potato Medley Dinner
- 8 skinless chicken thighs about 1.5 lbs
- 8 small potatoes a medley of red, purple and yellow is a nice choice, rinsed, dried and quartered
- 1 medium red onion quartered
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Begin by placing the olive oil and crushed garlic in a large bowl. Place the onions and potatoes in the oil and garlic mixture and toss to coat. Remove the vegetables with your hands or a slotted spoon and scatter them onto your baking sheet. Reserve the remaining oil and garlic.
- Pat dry the chicken thighs and remove any extra fat. Place the thighs into the oil and garlic mixture and toss to coat. Scatter the chicken thighs onto the sheet pan around the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the vegetables and chicken with the smoked paprika, cumin, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until an instant read meat thermometer reads 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.