Okay, I’m going to tell you a little secret. I had to practice A LOT of self control when I made these here Crispy Oven-Baked Potato Chips for a friend’s birthday party last week. It would have been sooooooo easy to devour the whole batch quicker than you could say, “Nice potato chips!”
There are a couple of tricks to getting oven-baked potato chips crispy, and I’m about to share them with you, because once you have a little insight, you’re going to be potato chip royalty. People will ask things like, “Why do these potato chips crunch? Didn’t you say you baked them?” You sly potato-chip-baking fox, you!
I’ve always been a fan of Terra brand potato chips, but I could easily eat a bag all by myself in one sitting. Problem is, I have a pretty sensitive stomach, and eating too much fried food exacerbates the problem, so I set out to make a baked version of my beloved chips that was just as crispy and tasty.
- Trick number one – slice your potatoes thin. I used a knife because apparently, I’m a masochist. Actually, it was super easy and kind of zen. I like to listen to music while I cook, and I chose some music with a good potato cutting beat, and a sharp knife…definitely a good sharp knife.
- Boil the sliced potatoes for about 3 minutes first, then drain and rinse with cold water. I’ve tried researching why this works, but to no avail (I’ll keep searching, though). So I’m just going to accept that fact that it does (for now) and thank science for another cooking mystery. Don’t skip this step.
- Thoroughly dry those boiled potatoes by lining a baking sheet with a kitchen towel, placing the potato slices on the towel and blotting them with another clean cloth kitchen towel or paper towel.
4. Toss the dried potatoes in a bowl with oil and coat thoroughly (I used olive oil because I LOVE the flavor).
5. Sprinkle a baking sheet with salt and lay the oiled potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
6. Salt the tops of the potato chips and bake for about 10 minutes.
Now I know what you’re thinking – that all sounds like a lot of work for a few potato chips, but here’s the thing. Making your own Crispy Oven-Baked Potato Chips is highly rewarding. And the truth is that each of these steps takes a very short time, so just make a few batches and treat yourself. I mean, nobody says you have to share 😉
So, yesterday I posted my recipe for Creamy Dreamy Curry Cashew Dip.
THIS. This dip is THE PERFECT dip for Crispy Oven-Baked Potato Chips. Be sure to check out the recipe for this easy, healthy, vegan dip, which also pairs well with a vegetable platter (raw or roasted veggies). Trust me on this one, and be prepared for it to vanish quickly from the party food table. That’s the problem when you make delicious food!
So there you have it. If you have a party to attend or you’re just in the mood for potato chips this weekend, bake up a batch of these yummy Crispy Oven-Baked Potato Chips. And don’t forget the beer.
Leave me comment and let me know your thoughts.
Crispy Oven-Baked Potato Chips
Crispy, crunchy oven-baked potato chips are so rewarding to eat, and make! Pair them with your favorite dip (we suggest our delicious Creamy Dreamy Curry Cashew Dip). Mix in some purple potatoes if you wanna get fancy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: sanck
- Method: baked
- 6 potatoes washed and thinly sliced (about 1/16 inch) – I used small yellow and purple potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- Slice potatoes about 1/16 of an inch thin with a sharp knife or mandoline.
- Fill a pot with water and boil the sliced potatoes for about 3 minutes; drain immediately and rinse in a colander with cold water and drain.
- Thoroughly and carefully dry the boiled potato slices by lining a baking sheet with a kitchen towel by placing the potato slices on the towel and blotting them with another clean cloth kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Toss the dried potatoes in a bowl with the oil and coat thoroughly (I used olive oil but you can use another vegetable oil).
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with salt and lay the oiled potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Salt the tops of the potato chips and bake for about 10 minutes. Check for doneness – remove any of the crispy, golden potato chips from the oven and continue baking the rest a few minutes as needed. All ovens are different, so watch your potatoes closely.
- Place cooked potato chips on another baking sheet lined with paper towels to dry them and absorb any extra oil.
Serve with your favorite dip or eat them as is!