Easy Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta
Just six simple ingredients - ripe fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, kalamata olives, goat cheese, aromatic olive oil and your favorite pasta combine for a perfect weekday meal.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 10 small ripe tomatoes like cocktail tomatoes or 6-8 large tomatoes, sliced into bite-size wedges
- about 8 large fresh basil leaves torn into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves sliced into thin slivers
- 12 ounces of angel hair pasta or pasta of your choice
- 1 6.5 ounce jar kalamata olives
- 2.5 ounces of goat cheese
- coarse kosher salt to taste
- quality extra virgin olive oil
In a large stock pot boil salted water for the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, toss with olive oil to prevent from sticking and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat place two tablespoons of olive oil. When the olive oil is warm (not smoking), place the slivered garlic and sautee for about 20 seconds (be careful not to brown or burn the garlic). Place the sliced tomatoes into the skillet and toss around the pan for about one minute, or until the tomatoes just begin to soften and release their juices. Add the torn basil to the tomatoes, toss quickly and remove the pan from the heat. Salt to taste.
Portion out the pasta onto plates and top with the fresh tomato mixture. Add the kalamata olives and goat cheese and finish with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Options: Omit the olives and goat cheese to keep things even more simple, or swap out the goat cheese with shaved parmesan, mozzarella chunks or feta cheese.
The estimated cook time is for using angel hair pasta, which is quick cooking. Other kinds of pasta may increase the cooking time.