Spicy Home-Made Chai Tea
Make time for some home-made spicy chai tea. This version combines cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, star anise and peppercorns for extra spiciness.
Prep Time4 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 cups water
- 5 bags of quality black tea labels and strings removed
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 8-10 pods of cardamom crushed
- 3 cloves crushed
- 10 black peppercorns crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger or 3-5 nickel sized chunks of fresh peeled ginger
- 2-3 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice adjust to taste
- 2 cups milk or non-dairy substitute
Begin by bringing two cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Lower heat to simmer, add the tea bags and simmer for about three minutes.
While the tea simmers, place the cardamom pods, peppercorns and cloves in a mortar and pestle and crush lightly (or use the the flat side of a meat cleaver or a wooded spoon to crush the spices). Place the crushed spices and the star anise in the center of a piece of clean cheese cloth (if using) and tie off with a string. Place the spice bundle, cinnamon stick and ginger into the pot of simmering tea.
Add the milk or milk substitute and simmer on low heat for about another 12 minutes. Add the sugar and stir.
To serve, strain the tea and pour into cups.